20 Minute GIS
Available in print or digital versions at GISetc, http://gisetc.com/product/20-minute-gis-for-young-explorers/.
Our popular collection includes 12 lessons for the virtual globe and those same lessons in ArcGIS online. There are three lessons for each of the core subject areas with extensions and national standards alignment for each lesson. Whether you’re a Mac or a PC, you can have students at any age mapping today!
This collection includes 12 lessons for the virtual globe and those same lessons in ArcGIS online. There are three lessons for each of the core subject areas with extensions and standards alignment for each lesson. Whether you’re a Mac or a PC, you can have students at any age mapping today!
Because Classroom Teachers:
- Want to add geospatial elements to their classroom.
- May have only one computer in the classroom.
- Have very little time in computer lab.
- Need to augment key concepts.
- Have minimal technology skills.
- Have minimal GIS skills.
- Are not permitted to use Google Earth, but want a virtual globe experience for students.
- Want a way to have students map online.
- Have just 20 minutes to explore new technology.
Special discounts for bulk orders of 10 or more copies. email@example.com
Reading, Writing and Thinking around the Globe
If you’re looking for realistic ideas for implementing 21st Century tools into your classroom, then this is the book for you. Harness the power of online mapping, virtual globes and online content for studying and teaching authors, literature and writing! Spotlighted areas, reading and writing, foster ways to teach thinking in a tradition-laden subject. Ready-to-use lessons, practical ideas, suggestions on collaboration and research make this book a must-have for many classrooms. http://gisetc.com/product/reading_geospatial/
Authors and Literature
Twain’s Travels(2006) is a 34 page lesson pack that includes: introductions, national objectives, language arts activities for “The Celebrated Jumping Frog” by Mark Twain, GIS investigations of the Mississippi River and other student research activities. This activity originated with 7th graders studying The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and “The Million Pound Bank Note”, but is applicable with any of Twain’s works. The GIS portion of the activity has instructions for use with AEJEE, ArcView 3.x and ArcView9.
UPDATE: You can use the map online! http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=177d3e8f9f7647aa97bcaf89f7ec4a80
Earth, Wind and Fire: Language Arts Collides with Geography
This lesson pack includes the ESRI 2009 presentation and the ArcGIS project and data for connecting students to the Earth –Holes by Louis Sachar (middle school), Wind –Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (high school), and Fire – “Fire on the Mountain” an Ethiopian Folktale (elementary school). Refer to the Resources section of the Lesson Information document for a myriad of information related to each topic.
Out of Bounds: A Cross-Curricular Baseball Unit
is an overview of activities for four core subjects in middle school surrounding the theme of baseball. The unit integrates GIS technology to offer students analytical and creative opportunities.
1963- A Journey from North to South
Inspired by The Watsons Go to Birmingham-1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis, this lesson explores the Watson family’s journey from Flint, MI to Birmingham, AL in 1963 as well as several social issues that faced them at this challenging time in American History. The 1963 unit is designed to accommodate a variety of classroom content and situations.
ArcGIS Online in a Story Map Get the latest iteration of this classic. The handouts and questions are embedded in the online experience… all you need is a browser!
- ArcGIS Explorer Online (AGX) The 1963 lesson has an AGX version now!
- For ArcGIS Explorer Desktop (a free virtual globe) Download only the AGXD data files (*.zip, 3.9MB)
- Get the ArcMap version at ArcLessons or use the new ArcGIS Online(search for “watsons”) to use the data. Download the ArcMap version here or use the Online Map
Essay Assignment with Current Events
Oil Spill Essay Assignment
Have students explore the best course of action for the current oil spill crisis in the Gulf of Mexico. 1-page document (*.pdf)
GIS lessons at Esri
- ArcLessons: If you’re interested in my lessons, go to the ArcLessons search. Look for “Duke”.
- GeoInquiries are a growing collection of short (20-30 minute) guided map experiences for teachers to use as analytical discussion moments. The current collection includes Earth Science, AP Human Geography and US History. More are coming.
- Mapping Our World is part of Esri’s original lesson collection from 2001. The collection is now working in ArcGIS Online.
- Thinking Spatially is part of the Our World Series of 4 books. This volume has the elementary student in mind.
Companion Lessons for Understanding the Changing Planet
Companion Lessons for Understanding the Changing Planet
My Community, Our Earth Digital Adventures
Digital Adventures from My Community, Our Earth
National Center for Rural STEM Education Outreach-Geospatial Technology
Click on the Curriculum link on the website to see the lessons I’ve created for the Rural Center. Download them and use them with your students, then give us some feedback on them! The collection includes 14 activities with an ArcGIS 9+, AEJEE and My World GIS version for each one…as well as web resources and detailed lesson overviews to satisfy any picky curriculum director, principal or superintendent!